Trussville City Schools is committed to ensuring success for all students by applying high standards for professional learning for everyone who affects student learning. Trussville City Schools understands the need to differentiate professional development for teachers. For the 2020-2021 school year, October 13, 2020 and May 28, 2021, will be deemed as flex days. To earn the credit for the two flex days, you must complete 12 hours of professional development outside of the school day.
This year, TCS will offer 8 opportunities to attend a one day workshop with Dr. Greg Benner from the University of Alabama. You may remember participating in the Whole Child Survey that TCS developed with Dr. Benner and his team. This meaningful professional development is being provided based on your responses! These workshops will be held in the boardroom at central office. This is very exciting as work in the area of developing the whole child will continue to be a focus for our district. The expectation is that all certified teachers will choose one date to attend.
Your second flex day should focus on content area collaboration. April Chamberlain and/or Ashley Waring will also offer approved technology training that can be found here. Some teachers may have required summer professional development such as AP summer workshops, special education required training, etc. These teachers should note that on their Flex Day form. Book studies will not be approved for Flex Days. Teachers who lead professional development may count the session(s) they lead toward their flex hours; however, if a teacher is paid by another entity for leading/attending the PD, that event cannot count as your FLEX day. Requests to use flex hours for professional development outside of the Trussville City Schools system must be pre-approved by your principal. Funding is not guaranteed for professional development outside of Trussville City Schools.
- Everyone must register in PowerSchool Professional Learning or complete the pre-approval process for PD not on the approved list.
- Remember, all Flex PD not on the approved list must be approved by your school principal. Approval for Flex Day PD must be obtained before May 22, 2020.
- Content area collaboration requires one person to complete the Small Group Project Summary form and sign in sheet.
- If attending a session outside of TCS, you must send a certificate of attendance to Curriculum and Instruction upon completion.
- If you have any questions, email Lisa Berry or Theresa Ray.
- Do NOT request professional development days in the time system for Flex days. If you do not participate in Flex days, you will need to request personal days in the time system.