Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Joy Tyner
- B.S. in Elementary Education. Mississippi State University, 1986
- M.S. in Elementary Education. Mississippi College, 1994
- M.S. in Educational Leadership. Mississippi College, 1997
- I spent eleven (11) years as a classroom teacher, teaching general literacy, math, and remedial reading, to students in grades 4-8.
- Ten (10) years as an Assistant Principal and ten (10) years as a Principal in grades K-5
I became Cahaba’s first principal in July of 2016 and it has been a great two years! Prior to coming to Trussville I lived in Mississippi; born, educated and a 29 year career in education. My husband and I raised two successful daughters and are the proud parents of six dogs! I’m an avid supporter of Mississippi State athletics, as well as, Major League Baseball and Professional Football. I also love music and our church, FBC Trussville.
I believe that all successful students are surrounded by a team of adults who support them emotionally while having high expectations for academic growth. Students should be shown the virtues of having growth mindset and expected to struggle just enough to earn the pride that comes from grappling, discovery, team work and learning. At Cahaba, we nurture and encourage fine arts, physical education, and STEM learning as intertwined components of our rigorous academic program.
My door is always open and I look forward to learning with each of you as we celebrate life and every success that comes our way.