• School Nurse: Lauren Burdette

    Contact Information: (205) 228-3714, Fax 228-3701 or email Lauren.Burdette@trussvillecityschools.com

    Medication at School
    The Alabama Board of Nursing, Alabama State Department of Education, and Trussville City Board of Education have strict guidelines regarding medications in the school setting. A School Medication Prescriber/Parent Authorization form must be completed for both prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medication. Visit the  School Medication Form and/or the Over the Counter Medication Form to print out and return to school.

    Prescription Medication:

    • A doctor must complete the School Medication Prescriber/Parent Authorization form and the form must be returned to the school clinic.
    • Change in dosage requires a new form to be completed by the doctor.
    • Medicine must be in the original container giving the physician's name, dosage and instructions.
    • Parents/guardians must bring medication to school. Students may not transport medicine to or from school.
    • Emergency medications for asthma, diabetes, or anaphylaxis may be carried by the student on his/her person with a completed Medication Prescriber/Parent Authorization form and physician signature

    Over-the-counter (OTC) Medications:

    • Under no circumstances is the school allowed to stock its own supply of OTC medicines.
    • OTC medications (such as Advil, Motrin, Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, cough drops or syrups, etc.) require the same Medication Prescriber/Parent Authorization form as prescription medications.
    • If the OTC medication is to be administered for more than a two week time period, a parent signature and a physician signature is required on the form unless approved by the nurse. Medications to be administered for less than a 2 week time period require a parent signature only.
    • Non-prescription medications must be in the original, unopened, sealed container bearing the entire manufacturer's labeling and must be delivered to the school by the parent/guardian along with the authorization form. The student's name should be written legibly on the container.
    • Liquid medicines must have a calibrated medicine cup, spoon or syringe.