How To Become A Bus Driver
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License with a Passenger and School Bus Endorsement
- Must have a clean driving record with no DUI
- Cannot be Insulin dependant
How To Apply
- Complete a classified application online at the Alabama State Department of Education Standard Application webpage.
- Apply for the Bus Driver Preliminary Interview by going to the Alabama State Department of Education Standard Application webpage
- After the Preliminary Interview qualified candidates will be invited to attend the training class.
- You must do the following before attending the training class:
- Complete a Background Check
- Complete a pre-employment drug screening. Contact the Transportation Department at 205-228-3002 once the background check has cleared to schedule the drug screening.
- You must have your CDL before attending the training class.
To Obtain A Class B Commercial Driver’s License
- Pass 4 tests given at the license office. Study manuals are available at your local license office.
- General Knowledge
- Air Brakes
- School Bus
- Cost for the CDL test is $25.00.
After Passing The CDLTest:
- You will be given a Learner’s Permit
- Attend a 4 hour training class from Trussville City Schools
- Attend a 12 hour State Department of Education New Bus Driver Certification Class, 3 days
- Score at least 80% on written test given at end of 12 hour instruction class
- Pass a three part performance test
- Pre-Trip Inspection
- Basic Control Skills Tests (backing)
- Driving Skills Test Practice days will be available for two weeks prior to the New Bus Driver Certification Class.
Other Required Documentation
- Visit the Alabama Applicant Processing Services webpage to obtain a background check or by phone call (866)989-9316. Cost for background check will be $51.40.(COST FOR BACKGROUND CHECK WILL BE $51.40)
- Required Documentation
- A Class B CDL with Passenger and School Bus Endorsement
- Copy of high school diploma, college diploma, or GED
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Pre-employment drug screening. Call the transportation department at 205.228.3002 to schedule once the background check has cleared.
- Alabama School Bus Driver Physical Examination Report. Visit the Alabama Department of Education Alabama School Bus Driver Physical Examination Report webpage to download the form. Cost for physical will be $50.00 to $100.00.
Who To Contact
Anyone wishing to drive a school bus in Trussville should contact the Transportation Department at 205-228-3002.