McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act
It is the policy of the Trussville City Board of Education to provide all students, including language minority students, migrant students, and homeless students, with meaningful and appropriate educational programs allowing all students the same benefits and rights of participation regardless of race, color, disability, sex, religion, national origin, or age. The enrollment of homeless, migrant, and limited English proficient children and youth shall not be denied or delayed due to any of the following barriers:
- Lack of school records or transcripts
- Lack of birth certificate
- Lack of immunization or health records
- Lack of proof of residency
- Lack of transportation
- Guardianship or custody requirements
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act defines a homeless individual as one who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.
If your family lives in any of the following situations, you may be considered homeless:
- In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
- On the street
- In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodation
- Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing
If your child is considered eligible for the homeless program, he/she has the right to:
- Access to the same public education as other children
- Continue in the school they attended before becoming homeless, if feasible.
- Participate in all programs and activities with students that are not homeless.
- Enroll immediately in school. The school will work with parents to obtain necessary records.
Services are provided to students that qualify for the homeless program. Services include, but are not limited to:
- Academic support through programs provided by the school’s PST (Problem Solving Team)
- School supplies
- Payment of class fees/dues
- Payment of field trips
- Personal hygiene items
- Free school lunch
To find out if your child qualifies for services, please call 205-228-3000
Visit the Resources for Homeless Children and Families: Tip Sheet webpage for more information.
Visit the Homeless Shelters Directory webpage for more information.